Union Mills Railway Station Stashoon Mwyllin Doo Aah Isle Of Man Railway |
||
---|---|---|
Station statistics | ||
Lines | Peel Line | |
Structure | Station Building | |
Platforms | One Raised, One Ground Level | |
Tracks | Two Running Lines & Various Sidings | |
Parking | Roadside | |
Other information | ||
Opened | 1st July 1873 | |
Closed | 9th September 1968 | |
Rebuilt | 1892 | |
Owned by | Isle Of Man Railway Co., Ltd. | |
Services | ||
Toilets, Waiting Room, Booking Facilities
|
Union Mills Station was an intermediate stop on the Isle of Man Railway; it served the village of Union Mills in the Isle of Man and was a stopping place on a line that ran between Douglas and Peel. It was part of the island's first railway line.
Contents |
The railway station at Union Mills on the Isle of Man Railway was the first official stop for trains on the line; it boasted a long winding platform on the "up" side and the station gardens were well known locally for their beautiful displays that were tended by the station master and his staff. It lies beneath the main road and was accessed via a set of steps, to a wooden station building and platform area.
On the northerly side of the station runs the River Dhoo and the station had a long passing loop and at one time a goods siding. When the railway closed the station building was demolished and the tracks lifted but the platform remains in place, as do the words of the station name, picked out in white spar stones along the edge of what was the down line, and a Legs of Mann in the embankment at the exit to the station.
In 1990 the brakedown crane belonging to the railway was placed on permanent display at the station, and a section of track installed for it to sit on. This is still in place today.
Preceding station | Isle of Man Railway | Following station | ||
---|---|---|---|---|
Braddan Bridge towards |
Peel Line. | Crosby towards |